6 Easy Spells for the Beginner Witch: Love, Protection, $ and More
New to the craft? Maybe you want to try a spell but don’t know where to start? What is a spell, exactly? A spell is similar to a prayer, but with focused intention and harnessed energy. Spells can be used for personal gain, as we are in control of our own lives and where we go in life. For those who need simple spells to try out, check out our five easy spells for the beginner witch below.
First, What is a Spell and Do they Work?
If you’ve come to this blog post thinking casting a spell will turn your life around, you might be surprised to hear that magick doesn’t solve everyone’s problems. A spell is a small ritual or prayer that involves ingredients and harnessing the spiritual energy around and within us to create change in our realities. They do work. However, it takes effort in both the spiritual (casting the spell) and in the physical (actually applying for the job or going on that blind date, etc.). If you cast a spell for a new job then sit on your couch waiting for it to manifest, you’ll likely not see any results. But if you cast the spell while also sending out your resume, networking, and following up on your applications, you’ll see the results.
What Happens if You Don’t Get Results?
If you’ve cast the spell and are working in the physical to help it manifest, and you’ve seen no results, there could be a myriad of reasons. Sometimes the thing we want the most isn’t what we need and isn’t for our highest good or goes against our fate. In these cases, we are trying to force something that shouldn’t be and often our guides or the universe may try to block your spell from manifesting. Conversely, it may be the way we are casting our spell or other factors coming to play. For example, you don’t believe that spells actually work. In addition, perhaps your ingredients weren’t cleansed beforehand or you had other energies in your space influencing the process. My suggestion is to analyze what ight have gone wrong then try again. And there’s always divination – ask your guides and gods if the spell is necessary at this time before even casting it.
1. Easy Protection Spell: Circle of Salt
One of the most useful, easy spells for the beginner witch is one for protection. I call this the circle of salt. It’s also helpful in learning how to formally “cast a circle” before any spells, rituals or workings of any kind. This spell works to protect your home and everyone in it from spiritual invasion. It also works to diffuse negative energies from entering your space.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Timing: Full Moon
- When you have your salt ready, go outside of your home preferably on a Full Moon, and start at your front door.
- Move in a clockwise motion (we call this deosil), from your front door around your house, and slowly sprinkle salt around the perimeter of your home. Take care not to pour salt on any ornamental plants and avoid grass as much as possible.
- While you are doing this, state out loud “pure salt protect this home and all who reside here. Keep out those who seek to harm, protect us from negativity, anger, and fear.” You’ll also want to actively visualize a circle of protection around your home as you do this.
- Repeat this phrase and continue to circle the house in salt until you end up where you started – at the front door.
- Next, say out loud “this house is protected from negative energies and forces. So mote it be.”
2. Love Spell: Herbal Bath of Love
What do most people crave most in their lives? LOVE. Some people are so desperate that they’ll come to witchcraft just so they can learn how to do a love spell. This is not the best of intentions to cast a spell, as often these types backfire in a way the caster doesn’t expect or even want! However, if you are a beginner witch and want to draw love into your life (rather than cast a spell over an individual who is unexpecting and unwilling), try this easy and relaxing love spell.
What you’ll need:
- a quiet and undisturbed time
- Lavender and/or rose petals
- candle(s) and candle holder/plate
- relaxing music (helpful but not required)
- Set the mood by drawing a hot bath and adding a bit of the herbs of your choice directly to the bath or inside of a bath sachet. Light a candle and set in a safe place. Turn on relaxing music.
- Enter the bathtub and lay back. Breathe deeply and slowly. Visualize all of your worries and cares melting off of you.
- Let the music and the bath be the only two things that concern you in this moment.
- When you’re ready, visualize a sphere of white light encircling you in the tub. This is your cast circle. At this point, invite your goddess into the circle.
- Next, visualize the type of love you are looking for in your life. Visualize yourself laughing and playing and flirting with your dream man or woman.
- Once you’ve held the vision of your dream love in your head for a few minutes, say these words or similar: “I draw to me a pure and sweet love. One that will benefit me and my soul’s journey. To the benefit of all and to harm none.”
- Repeat this phrase at least 3 times and up to thirteen times. When complete, state “so mote it be.”
- You may stay in the bath as long as you’d like. Release the circle when you are ready by visualizing the sphere fading and the energy from within moving into space to perform the work that is required to draw love to you.
- After your herbal bath of love, continue to intermittently visualize your dream love’s image and tell yourself and the universe “I am worthy and ready for a pure and true love in my life.”
3. Success Spell: Candle of Power
Looking for a little more success in an area of your life? Time to try a little success magick through the use of a simple and effective candle spell. Candle spells are one of the most popular kinds of spells for the beginner witch because they’re diverse and not fussy. Easily personalize a candle spell by using various candle colors, sizes, shapes; also by carving or painting special symbols on the candle; and by dressing the candle in special oils and herbs of your choice. Try this Candle of Power spell and watch your success increase!
What You’ll Need:
- yellow chime candle
- matches or lighter
- a knife or pin (for carving)
- New, Waxing, or Full Moon
- Gather your ingredients.
- Using your pin or knife, carefully carve a symbol of success onto the sides of your candle. This can be the money sign, a rune of your choice (research online ahead of time), or any type of symbol you feel represents success.
- Light your candle.
- Focus on the flame of the candle. Visualize yourself with success in whatever arena of life you desire. See yourself with your mind’s eye in this successful position. Believe it.
- Watch the flame dance and flicker for as long as you’d like.
- Release your circle, but allow the candle to continue burning until it has burned itself out (be sure to stay in the room with the candle so it doesn’t light anything on fire. Safety first!)
- Once the candle is burned out and the wax has cooled, keep the wax in a bag or container of some kind in a safe place.
- After your spell and as often as you remember, hold the wax in your hands and tell yourself and the universe “I am successful. I am worthy. I am powerful.”
4. Health Spell: Healing Hands
For this spell, you are focusing on your health and wellbeing by tapping into the Universe’s healing powers. There are many versions of this kind of healing practice all over the world, one you may have heard of is Reiki (a Japanese technique for relaxation and stress reduction also used to promote healing). This is one of the easy spells for the beginner witch that requires no tools and little steps. BUT it is just as effective as any other.
What You’ll Need:
- an open heart and mind
- your hands
- Clear your mind from worries and concerns. Ask that ONLY the highest beings of the universe aid you in this process.
- Place both of your hands on your head, chest, stomach or wherever you feel called to place them.
- Imagine the pure, loving energy of the Universe entering your crown chakra and flowing through your body and down through your arms and into your hands.
- Then visualize the energy flowing freely from your hands and into your body where you need healing most.
- Allow the energy to flow for as long as you feel is necessary.
5. Intuition Spell: Increase My Dreams Sachet
The beginner witch wants to increase their intuition and open their third eye. One way of doing this is by increasing the amount and quality of your dreams. Some say a direct line of communication with the Universe/Spirit occurs in our dreams, as well as the ability for us to travel to other planes of existence and tap into our akashic records. This spell will serve to increase dreams, as well as the quality of your dreams.
What You’ll Need:
- a small muslin or cotton bag with drawstring
- loose-leaf dry herbs: mugwort, lavender and rosemary
- a journal or notebook to write down your dreams
- Gather your ingredients.
- Cast your circle.
- Open your small bag and place a pinch of mugwort into the bag. While doing this, state these words: “with these herbs, I increase my dreams and therefore my intuition. I open my third eye.”
- Repeat step 3 for each herb you place into your dream bag.
- Tie up the bag and hold it in the palms of your hands. Close your eyes and imagine your third eye opening.
- When you feel it is time, state “so mote it be”.
- Release your circle.
- Place this dream sachet beneath your pillow, in your pillowcase, or under your mattress beneath where your head lays.
- When your dreams start coming freely, write them down in your journal. This helps in dream recall and will give you a reference to study later.
6. EASY Money Spell with Basil
In need of some extra cash to pay bills or go on a trip? Consider casting this easy spell for money. It literally takes 2 items and your intentions to work.
What You’ll Need:
- Your wallet or coin pouch
- 3 basil leaves
- Gather your supplies.
- Set the mood if you choose with music, incense, candlelight, etc.
- Cleanse your wallet with smoke or by your preferred cleansing method.
- Hold the 3 basil leaves between your two palms, close your eyes and visualize a pile of cash in your hands.
- Then place the 3 basil leaves in your wallet or coin purse and keep until you see the extra money come in.
- Dispose by giving the basil back to the earth.