Dark Moon Rituals: Divination for Shadow Work & Past Lives
The Dark Moon is the few days before a New Moon when the moon seems to be completely gone from the sky. Traditionally, some witches of the past told us not to cast magick or do ritual on the dark moon. But if you heed their warnings, you’ll never realize just how powerful the Dark Moon is. Here we give the serious caster two dark moon rituals: one for shadow work and the other to recall past lives.
Dark Moon Energy: Confronting the Abyss
While some people may be scared of doing magick or ritual on the Dark Moon, I recommend it for those who feel drawn to its power. The energy is akin to staring into the dark abyss and learning to love it. When the moon is dark, the night is even darker. This is a time to turn inward, look at our shadow selves, and bring our monsters into the light. Once they’ve been brought to the light, we see them for what they are and we can start the process of healing and integrating. The dark moon energy is also beneficial when performing past life regression and recall. It brings hidden things to the surface including past life memories.
Let’s not forget that certain deities were born of the darkness and are inextricably linked to the Dark Moon. Therefore, waiting for a Dark Moon to invoke these deities is beneficial and ultimately the best timing. A few of those deities may include Hecate, Lilith, Persephone, Aradia, The Morrigan, Anubis, Kali, etc.
A Dark Moon Scrying Ritual for Shadow Work
What You’ll Need:
- A mirror or bowl of water
- Black candle
- Dragon’s Blood incense
- Journal and pen
Warning: With shadow work, you’re bringing secrets, past memories, and sometimes PAINFUL memories to the surface. If you’re not prepared to deal with the reality of your decisions and intense emotions, it’s not time for you to do shadow work. There’s a polarity with shadow work on the Dark Moon that is undeniable: we wait until the darkest nights to bring out shadows “into the light”.
How to Perform the Scrying Shadows Dark Moon Ritual:
- For this dark moon ritual, you’re going to practice scrying to see your true shadows.
- Gather all your items, cleanse your space and cast your circle. Dim the lights. If you can do the entire ritual by candlelight only, that’s best.
- Light the black candle and put it close to the bowl of water or mirror so that the light reflects off of the water/mirror. Dedicate your black candle to the Dark Moon.
- Light the dragon’s blood incense and offer it to spirit of the moon.
- Next, get into your otherworldly state of mind through breath-work, ritual music, etc. (however you shift your consciousness is what you’ll do at this point in the ritual).
- Begin to soften your gaze and say, “By the Dark of the Moon, I turn inwards to reflect upon my darkness. The shadows, the secrets, the old wounds holding me back. My shadows will now be revealed to me so that I may heal.”
- Look at the candlelight in the mirror/water and allow images to play out. If you don’t see any direct images in the reflection of the light, that’s okay. Any images that pop up in your head are legitimate scrying results! Also, if you hear words or feel sensations, these are all things the Dark Moon is trying to show you.
- Sit in the darkness, watching the candlelight reflection for as long as you deem necessary or until the incense burns down.
- Blow out the candle and open your circle.
- Record your thoughts, any images seen, any sensations, etc. One shadow or more has been revealed to you. If you don’t understand right away, give it a few days and the answer will come to you.
- Shadows aren’t fun to deal with. Be prepared to do some soul searching and acknowledge the shadows for what they are. Then release them. Let them go. If you need to do a releasing ritual, now would be the time.
Dark Moon Ritual to Recall Past Lives
What You’ll Need:
- A deck of oracle or tarot cards
- Candles and lighter/matches
- An offering for the keepers of the Akashic Records (burn incense, bowl of water, etc.)
- Journal and pen
How to Perform the Recall Past Lives Dark Moon Ritual:
- Cleanse your space and gather your tools. Cleanse your cards thoroughly.
- Cast your circle. Dim the lights. Candlelight is best for this dark moon ritual.
- Hold up the offering and say, “Keepers of the Akashic Records, I come to you now. Hear my call and accept this offering as a temporary ticket.”
- Get into your otherworldly state of consciousness and shuffle your cards until you feel they’re ready. Then say, “Keepers of the Akashic Records, I come to you now and ask that you reveal to me one of my past lives. May this past life bring me light in this life.”
- Place 5 cards face up and read them left to right.
- The first card will tell you the time period you lived in (prehistoric, modern, Colonial, Medieval, etc.)
- The second card will tell you the area of the world where you lived.
- The third card will tell you your occupation in that life.
- The fourth card will tell you what lesson you chose for that life but failed to learn.
- The fifth card will tell you how you died from that life.
- Look over each card carefully. Whatever pops into your mind first for each card is what your answer is. Write everything down. Even taking a picture of the reading may help you learn things later.
- When done, open the circle and thank the Keepers of the Akashic Records for revealing your past life to you. If you don’t receive all the information you seek, it will be revealed to you over the next few days.