Homemade Divination: How to Make Rune Cards for Spreads, Castings, & Study
Rune Cards are effective and easy to make.
The runes are an ancient Norse and Germanic alphabet system with sacred, spiritual meaning. But the runes are so much more than just ancient letters. They’re similar to Egyptian hieroglyphics in that each letter or rune contained power in and of itself. Today, runes have made a comeback and are used like in ancient times as a method of divination. Runes are also powerful symbols to paint or etch onto items for protection, success, love, strength, family, and more. If you can’t afford a rune-set, or just want to learn the runes, try making a set of rune cards.
What You’ll Need:
- Cardstock paper: 6 sheets
- red paint and paintbrush
- Rune guide/book as a reference
- Lighter, water, washcloth (optional for burnt edges)
DISCLOSURE: I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website. Your purchase helps support my work in bringing you information about the paranormal and paganism.
How to Make Rune Cards:
- Cut 6 pieces of cardstock into equal fours for a total of 24 cards.
- On one side of each card, draw each of the 24 elder futhark runes.
- Optional: write the number of each rune in the corners
- On the back, write any pertinent information about each rune in pencil.
- Rune’s name, symbolism, associated god, associated letter, and magical attributes
- Use pencil so you can remove and add information in the future.
- Paint your runes red.
- Runes were traditionally done in red.
- After they’ve dried, you have a set of rune cards!
- Optional is the burnt edge look on the edges of each rune card. Please be careful when playing with FIRE. I did this part outside, in my driveway, with an extinguisher nearby. I used my cast iron cauldron as the vessel (use a fireproof container when burning papers).
How to Study Your Homemade Rune Cards
Now you have your set of rune cards, but what do you do with them? Rune cards are like flash cards. Study each card like you’re studying for a test. Flip through them while watching TV, while sitting at the dinner table, wherever. Also spend some quiet time each day, just you and the cards, and look them over one by one. Familiarize yourself with each rune, their name, their symbolism, the letter associated, and its lore. Pull one card each morning and set it somewhere you’ll see it throughout the day. Meditate on its meaning throughout the day. Continue this until you have a decent understanding of the runes as whole.
How to Use Your Cards in Rune Castings & Divination
Runes are an old method of divination, so try divining with your rune cards. Pull a random card as a message for the day. Pull three cards and lay them out in representation of the past, present, and future. There are literally HUNDREDS of ideas for card spreads on Pinterest to inspire your rune card readings. OR you can cast the cards on the ground in front of you like in traditional rune castings. Watch them float through the air and land as they may. Now look at the rune cards facing up. Notice any pattern? Which rune cards are closest to you? These runes have special powerful meaning to your situation. Which rune cards are laying face down? Face down cards represent pieces of your situation that are hidden. Record each session with casting and reading your rune cards and watch your divination style emerge.