How to Make a Simple Spell Bag
Put simply, a spell bag is a bag of ingredients put together for a specific magickal purpose. Reasons include: protection, love, health, abundance, fidelity, justice, friendship, etc. These charms are easy to make and are effective for those who have clear intentions. They’re easy to conceal, so nosy individuals who go poking around might not notice the spell bag in your pillowcase or car console. Learn how to make a spell bag here.
A Quick Note on Spell Bags & Intention
Anyone can make a simple spell bag as long as there’s belief. Spell bags are not evil, but it all depends on your intentions for the bag. For instance, if you want to make a spell bag for protection, how would this be a bad thing? It’s the spiritual equivalent of putting a security alarm on your home. But if a spell bag is crafted to hurt someone else, this could be considered “evil” by others. Ultimately, you determine right and wrong.
1. Gather Your Ingredients
The first step is to gather the spell bag ingredients. What will you need first? The bag, of course! You can find small mesh bags or “sachets” on amazon or other sites, at Wal-Mart, Target, and sometimes the dollar store. Alternatively, you can make your own easily and without sewing. Gather an old handkerchief, towel, cloth napkin, or even a ripped/cut piece of an old t-shirt. You’ll need string or yarn to tie the bag together at the end.
Next gather the ingredients for the interior of the spell bag. The ingredients don’t have to be fancy, in fact, they can be simple items found around the house or outside.
Ideas for spell bag ingredients:
- Dried Herbs: choose herbs or spices (from your garden or spice cabinet) that correspond to the desired effect. For example – garlic for protection, rose petals for love, lavender for sleep. NOTE: make sure they are DRY, otherwise they may mold.
- Stones/Crystals: put in stones or crystals, depending on your desired outcome. For example: rose quartz for self love, amethyst for intuition, selenite to connect with guides.
- Coins/tokens: place coins or other small personal tokens in the spell bag that have importance to the outcome
- Other ingredients: pictures, papers with intentions written, feathers, acorns, leaves, buttons, jewelry, beads, etc.
The choices for spell ingredients are completely up to you and what you are looking to bring into your life with the spell bag. If you feel it makes sense, include it!
2. Cast the Spell & Put the Spell Bag Together
You have the ingredients and are ready to put your bag together, now what? Clear your mind and focus on your intention from the git-go. Then proceed.
Spell Bag Instructions:
- Cleanse your space: smoke-cleanse your space with sage or other purifying herbs, use your broom/besom to “sweep” away negative energy, light a white candle, ring a bell, etc.
- Have all of your supplies ready.
- Hold your bag in your receptive hand. Use your dominant hand to place ingredients in, one at a time. Think of your intention for the spell bag itself. Think of what each ingredient means and what kind of power it gives to the spell as you place them in the spell bag. If you are using a handkerchief or piece of fabric, lay it on a flat surface and place ingredients in the center. At the end of your spell, gather the corners and tie a string/yarn around the top portion to seal it up.
- Visualize your intention for the spell bag and hold the bag between both hands. Continue to visualize. Chanting and singing also infuse your spell with more energy.
- Depending on the intention, keep it wherever it makes sense. For example, if the goal is to protect you and your family, hang it on the front door. If it’s to help with dreams or insomnia, place it in your pillowcase. Etc.
NOTE: to amplify the effects, don’t forget to FEED it with more energy. Add more herbs, a few drops of oil, etc. to the bag each day/week. OR sing over the bag your intentions. The more energy you add, the more likely it will manifest.
Uses & Versatility of Spell Bags
Personally, I think making a spell bag for an intention is one of the easiest forms of magick. The great thing about them is they can be used for so many purposes. They are incredibly versatile. And they can be used anywhere. These bags can be placed under the pillow/mattress, in the car, hung on doors or above beds, placed in an underwear/lingerie drawer, thrown into the bath (make sure the herbs are topically safe first), carried in the purse or around the neck, etc.