Car Magic: 8 Rituals, Charms and Tips to Make Your Ride Magical
Spend a lot of time in the car? I don’t know about you but I spend quite a bit of time in my vehicle transporting kids and going from point a. to point b. If you have a long commute to work or live out of your car, here’s our tried and true car magic, rituals and charms to make your ride an enchanting one!
Trucks, Cars, and Vehicles are Liminal Spaces
A liminal space is a place that’s neither here nor there. It could be physical, mental, emotional or spiritual. And what is a vehicle of transportation, isn’t it a physical liminal space? It takes us from one point to another, suspended in the air (by tires or wings, etc.) Which is no wonder to me that sometimes we can fall into a trance while in our cars, trucks, airplanes, and vehicles of all kinds. Have you ever gotten into your car and don’t remember how you got to your destination? That’s because liminal spaces can sometimes take us out of this world. So if your car, truck, or dunebuggy takes you from point a. to point b. and you spend any amount of time in it, why not make it magical?
1. Car Magic: Spirit Communication
Your car is made up of energy. To some people, our cars even have a soul or consciousness. Either way, why not start a good relationship with your vehicle? Have you named your car or truck? Have you talked to your car or truck? My vehicle has a magical name and he is rather pleased with it. Name your car and tell it what its name is. Talk to it daily like it can hear you. Maybe it can! If anything, it makes your car rides more enjoyable.
2. Magical Car Charms
Something I’ve done for many years is craft a protection bag for my vehicle. Mine is simple to make and takes 2 things: a small sachet or bag and a couple pinches of dried wormwood. Wormwood is traditionally used for protection in one’s travels. I replenish the wormwood once every 3-6 months. You can substitute with any herb you feel has protective qualities and add protective stones, too! In addition, hanging sun catchers or protective charms on your rearview mirror is a great way to add magic to your car!
3. Divination As Car Magic
First of all, safety comes first! Don’t attempt any form of divination or car magic while driving if it distracts you from the road! Now that we’ve got that out of the way, another magical thing I enjoy doing while in my vehicle is impromptu divination. A couple things you can try while sitting at a stoplight, stuck in traffic, or in the school’s car circle include:
- Cloud scrying: gaze up at the clouds and see what patterns they are taking. Are they giving you a message?
- License plate scrying: notice the license plates around you. Are there numbers or letters that recur? Are there bumper stickers that seem to be screaming a particular message at you?
- Oracle or Tarot: ONLY do this when you’re at a complete stop, waiting in a parking lot, etc. I like to keep a deck of cards in my car for impromptu divination sessions when I’m waiting on my kids, etc. Spread the cards on the dash, on the passenger’s side, OR choose one card from the deck
- Bird & Animal Omens: sometimes we have the privilege of seeing birds, insects, and wildlife while we drive. Take note of any obvious animal messages – a crow nearly flying into the windshield, a dragonfly hovering next to your window, a spider crawling up the side of your car. Then look up the symbolism later on, if you need be.
4. Meditation and Music
YES you can meditate in your car. NO you shouldn’t try this while driving! Again, if you’re sitting in the car waiting on a family member, try listening to some relaxing music OR try a ten minute guided meditation. If you want to do simple car magic WHILE driving, listen to magical music. Something that transports you to another time and place yet still keeps you focused on the task at hand – driving. I prefer listening to my own playlist I’ve made with witchy songs OR listening to Celtic or Native American music.
5. Mini Car Cleansing Rituals
Doing miniature cleansing rituals in your car is rewarding and makes your vehicle feel that much more like YOUR sanctuary! Keep a small bundle of herbs for smudging in your glovebox. Take it out and smudge your car once a month or when you feel like there’s pent-up energy. OR keep it in your car to smudge yourself before coming home from a particularly stressful day at work.
6. Car Protection Visualization
While parked OR before a big road trip, try this car protection visualization technique:
- Visualize (imagine) a white light starting underneath your vehicle.
- With your mind’s eye, watch the white light creep up over the hood and over the roof reaching down and back around to where it started at the bottom of your vehicle.
- Then watch as another white light starts at the bottom of your vehicle and envelopes the right side, up over the roof, down the left side and ends underneath your vehicle again.
- Keep this image of a white light bubble enveloping your vehicle in your mind’s eye for as long as you’d like (I usually try at least 5 minutes).
- Then state “this impenetrable bubble of white light protects and defends my vehicle and all who ride in it. So be it.”
7. Diffuse Essential Oils in Your Car
When I was spending nearly three hours a day in my car (I kid you not), I realized that the traffic was stressing me out. The drive was stressing me out. I was stressed out. LOL. So what do I do when I feel overwhelmed or burnt out? I turn to my craft. I figured out another way to make my car a magical sanctuary: essential oils. There are miniature essential oil diffusers, even ones you can plug into your car, made for your car! I found mine on Amazon for like fifteen bucks. To promote relaxation on long drives, diffuse lavender, eucalyptus, or sweet orange essential oils.
8. Magical Key Chains
WHO got the keys to my beamer? Did you know keys are powerfully magical tools that lock away secrets, open doors, and give power to inanimate objects? By adorning your keys with enchanted, witchy key chains, you amplify the vibes. Make your own keychain or purchase one from an awesomely witchy small business like the one shown here (and above). StampItOutLoud not only makes all of their keychains protective with bells and symbols, but they are made by a certified magical practitioner who knows her sh*t. Also, please note: she creates custom pieces, so if you want a specific symbol, animal, color, etc. added to your keychain or car charm, ask her!
More Everyday Magick:
- Healthy WITCH: My Diet and Exercise Regimen
- 11 Witchy Ways to Relieve Anxiety
- Witchcraft Practices for Peace and Comfort in Hard Times
Leave a Reply