Egg Cleanse: How To Do An Egg Cleansing & Read the Meaning
In recent years, a practice called an egg cleansing ritual has gained popularity in the online witchcraft community. One might think this is a new, modern practice but in reality, the egg cleanse dates back centuries. And its origins are spread out across cultures. Eggs are a powerful tool in any witch’s or magical practitioner’s repertoire. Here we teach you why eggs are a potent ingredient in removing negative energy. PLUS how to do an egg cleansing ritual and how to read the egg afterward.
First, Why Are Egg Cleansings A Thing?
I am one that believes certain practices of our ancestors are passed down over generations, and certain practices are just ingrained in our DNA and spiritual memory. Either way, we have our ancestors to thank for these powerful rituals. One such ritual is called the egg cleanse. We all know how important it is to cleanse yourself and your space regularly. But why is an egg used as a purifying tool?
Egg Magick & Oomancy
First, we have to look at the magick of the egg itself. Typically when we say “eggs”, we are mostly referring to a chicken’s egg. But there are eggs from other animals that can also be used in magick and cleansing rituals. However, we recommend sticking to the chicken variety. And here’s why – the chicken in and of itself has a gods-given ability to keep evil at bay. Many cultures and traditions believe chickens “scratch” away evil spirits and/or scare any that are near. So, yes! It is good luck and a great natural warding device to have chickens in your yard or on your property.
Eggs = Protection
That being said, eggs by default are also protective. But think of their actual physical make-up: the egg yolk and whites are contained in a hard, protective shell. Egg magick is both protective and can be used to increase fertility. Eggs actually have a long history of being used in folk magic from various traditions including: African diasporic, Mesoamerican, Romani, German Folk Magic (Pow Wow), and were even used by the ancient Greeks, Romans and Celtic Druids.
Oomancy is a form of ancient divination in which the individual “reads” eggs as messages from the gods. There were various ways of doing this including cracking an egg into water and reading the pattern of the whites and yolk. Some people read the lines, cracks, and color of eggshells. I know today we have mass-produced chicken eggs that are all mostly of pure white color. But back in the day, and on free ranging farms, eggs took on different colors, shapes and some were even speckled.
Speaking of eggshells, when you’re done reading them, you can use them as flying vehicles. Witches in Medieval Times were said to fly around in empty eggshells, as were fairies. Most people discarded their eggshells quickly so as not to encourage mischievous magic-makers from taking them.
How to Do An Egg Cleansing Ritual
What You’ll Need:
- One egg (and have a back-up in case you drop or crack the egg)
- A candle
- Glass filled halfway with clean water
How to do an egg cleansing on yourself or another person:
- Begin by cleansing the egg of any negativity it might have picked up before reaching you. I like to carefully run the egg over a candleflame (not through it, but over it. I don’t want to cook the egg, just let the fire’s light touch it to cleanse it of negative vibes).
- Next, start at the top of the head and gently roll the egg in counter-clockwise circles around the crown of the head, if you can close your eyes and focus on your intention do so throughout the process. I like to imagine the negative energy is being “picked up” by the egg, sort of like the egg is a little vacuum. If you’re doing this for someone else, have them close their eyes and explain to them what to visualize.
- Then moving the egg down the back of the head with your egg, then around to the face.
- Move down the neck, over the left arm down to the fingers, then to the right arm down to the fingers. Continue in circles. Follow with the chest, stomach, hips, buttocks, thighs, all the way down the legs.
- Don’t forget to rub the egg over the soles of the feet. This is an important step some folks forget.
- For the next step, you can do one of two things: a. crack the egg over a cup of water and read the yolk and white patterns. Or b. place the egg under your (or the person’s) bed or on the altar for 24 hours, then crack it and read it after (see the next section for how to read an egg cleanse meaning).
- After you’ve done the reading of the egg yolk and whites, get rid of the contents immediately.
PLEASE NOTE: if the evil eye or malefic magick is suspected, don’t crack the egg right away to read it but place it under yours (or the person’s) bed for at least 24 hours. Then continue with the steps below (cracking in water and reading).Kitty Fields, Otherworldly Oracle
Reading Egg Cleanse Meanings
Once you’ve rubbed the egg all over your body, the next step in the egg cleanse process is to read the egg yolk, whites, and the patterns therein. Like so:
8. Crack your egg over a clear glass, half-filled with water.
9. Let the yolk and whites settle, then gaze through the glass from the side.
10. You’ll begin to see shapes, patterns, strings, colors, and more. Here’s how to interpret different meanings behind your egg cleanse.
When reading an egg cleanse, the yolk is representative of you and the whites symbolize others.Kitty Fields, Otherworldly Oracle
Patterns, Symbols, and Colors in Your Egg Cleanse Cup
- Clear or mostly clear means you’ve been keeping up with your cleansing methods and wards…it means you don’t have a lot of negative energy affecting you!
- Strings of white that go from top to bottom in the water indicate energetic cords that are negative and need to be cleared
- Blood in the yolk could mean one of two things (or both simultaneously): the person is ill and/or is being spiritually attacked by a witch/evil eye
- Cloudiness in the whites and around the yolk is the actual negative energy you’ve lifted off yourself/the individual
- Foul odor also means the person is being spiritually attacked and affected by witchcraft or the evil eye
- Actual symbols should be read accordingly. For instance, if you see an eye, we interpret this egg cleanse meaning as someone is watching you or sending you the evil eye. If a scary face is in the white, you may have a ghost or spirit nearby of a malevolent nature
- Thick white blob still connected to the yolk typically means the person has another person strongly attached to them and could be feeding off their energy (sometimes the blob appears to look like a little head growing off the yolk itself)
- Cobwebs or thready substance around the yolk means you have folks who are envious of you and your endeavors
- Thick coating around the yolk could indicate a strong protective shield around the person OR the person is so defensive that they struggle in relationships
- Letters or numbers should also be read accordingly in an egg cleansing reading. Letters could indicate someone’s initials who is throwing magical shade your way OR someone who is attached to you energetically. Numbers could indicate the amount of people who are throwing shade your way, or it could be predicting a future event on a certain date.
- Double yolk means one of a few things: a. if you’re pregnant, you’re having twins. Or b. you have a twin soul somewhere out there. Or even c. your soul may have been split in two during a traumatic experience during your life.
You’ve Read Your Egg Cleanse Meaning, Now What?
Maybe you’ve read the meaning of your egg cleanse and received certain results. What do you do with this information? First of all, if your egg showed mostly clear or somewhat cloudy, this is a good thing. It means you’ve cleansed yourself well enough already. But if you feel out of sorts still, cleanse yourself again by some other method (bathing ritual, smoke-cleansing ritual, etc.) If you noticed you have attachments or cords, it’s truly up to you to figure out who these people or spirits are, and whether you want to cut those cords or not. Remember, not all energetic cords are harmful. Learn to cut the cords here.
If there’s blood or a bad smell…
When there’s blood in the egg, extreme cloudiness, or a foul odor, this means someone is working magic against you or that you have an evil spirit nearby. What do you do in this case? There’s a few things you need to do: cleanse your space and yourself, lay wards around your property, call in your guides to protect you, and start wearing a protective amulet. In addition, some folks might consider a reversal spell (return to sender), as well as crafting and burying a witch bottle on the property.
Cobwebs and Double Yolks…
In addition, if you find you have cobwebs in the egg or an eye, you have folks who are envious of you. Taking extra precautions to shield yourself from jealousy and the evil eye is necessary at this point. Wearing an evil eye amulet like the nazar or a hag stone is a powerful way to keep envious vibes at bay.
As far as double yolks after an egg cleanse, this is typically interpreted in different ways depending on the person’s situation. If pregnant or trying to conceive, a double yolk could mean twins for the expecting mom. But if pregnancy is out of the question, a double yolk could mean one’s soul was split during a traumatic experience. If this is the case, a shaman would be best to aid the person in soul retrieval.