Amulets and Talismans: How to Enchant Jewelry & Charms for Protection
Witches and sorcerers love their magical jewelry. Have you ever known a witch who doesn’t wear jingling rings on her fingers and toes? How about a sorcerer who doesn’t wear amulets and talismans? There’s a reason witches love their charms, necklaces, and anklets – they use them to ward off negativity, draw love and money, connect to the divine, and more. Learn how to enchant jewelry for magical purposes here!
Amulets and Talismans: What Are They and How Are They Different?
People think amulets and talismans are the same thing. They aren’t. While they are both charms and/or jewelry worn for magical purposes, they serve two different purposes. An amulet is charmed jewelry worn to WARD off anything the individual wants to keep away. A talisman DRAWS something towards the individual. For example, an obsidian pendant is worn and charged to ward off evil. While a jade bracelet is charged to draw love towards the individual.
Sometimes it’s hard to remember the difference between amulets and talismans, so think of it this way: A for AMULET and AWAY. And T for Talisman and TOWARDS.
Types of Protective Amulets
Literally anything you wear can be enchanted for a magical reason and considered a protective amulet. Any necklaces, chains, bracelets, anklets, earrings, body jewelry, or even sewn into clothing or etched into shoes. The choice is yours, but here are some examples:
- Crystals and stones: turquoise, obsidian, tiger’s eye, tourmaline, hematite, fire agate, jasper, jet, amethyst, etc.
- Sigils and symbols: protective sigils, Elder furthark runes, witch’s runes, ancient symbols, Celtic, Helm of Awe, crosses, hamsa/evil eye wards, etc.
- Protective Totems/Animal Guardians: pictures/symbols with protective animals like the wolf, bear, tiger, lion, hawk, dog, etc.
- Lockets or pendants with ancestors’ or deities’ photos/images
Types of Talismans for Love, Abundance, Etc.
In opposition to an amulet warding off illness, luck, or evil, the talisman serves to draw something towards the witch/magician. YES, you can wear both! They don’t serve to cancel one another out, unless you are asking for the exact thing you’re warding off (which I hope you wouldn’t be asking for illness/evil!) Types of talismans are similar to amulets and are up to your imagination and preferences:
- Stones and crystals to draw intentions: jade and rose quartz for love, amethyst for psychic abilities and dreams, bloodstone for health and fertility, moss agate for monetary abundance, etc.
- Sigils and symbols to draw intentions: sigils for love and health/success, Elder futhark runes for family and finances, witch’s runes for deity connection and divination, etc.
- Pendants/images of gods and goddesses and spirits who draw intentions towards the individual: Aphrodite for love/passion, Ganesha for financial abundance and well-being, Freya for fertility and love, Odin for wisdom, Thor for strength, etc.
How to Enchant Jewelry for Amulet and Talisman Purposes
So, you have your favorite piece of jewelry (be it new or old), and you want to turn it into an amulet or talisman. Here’s the step-by-step process of how to enchant jewelry for magical purposes:
- First, establish if your jewelry or garment will be an amulet (to ward something off) or as a talisman (to draw something towards you).
- Next, cleanse the item using smudge smoke, water, by burying it in the earth/bowl of salt, or whatever cleansing method you prefer and won’t damage the item.
- Select the appropriate timing to charge the amulet or talisman. For example: if you want to enchant jewelry to draw love into your life, choose the Full Moon. If you want to make an amulet to ward off evil, choose the Waning Moon, etc.
- Once the timing is right, get into a relaxed, ritual-working state of mind and hold the amulet/talisman between your hands.
- Whatever is your intention for the amulet/talisman, visualize in your mind’s eye. Hold this visualization and let your energy pour into the item for as long as you can (I typically give it 10-15 minutes total).
- Lastly, set the amulet/talisman somewhere it can soak up the moon’s rays overnight.
- In the morning, pick up your amulet/talisman and tell it its purpose. “You are an amulet to ward off evil spirits and energy. Henceforth this is your purpose.”
Re-charge your amulet/talisman once a month or whenever you deem fit. Follow the same process, or at least charge it in the appropriate moonlight. This is an easy and effective way to enchant jewelry for many different reasons. You can use this same process to enchant patches for clothing, shoes, bags, hats, etc. Anything worn can be enchanted and made into amulets and talismans.
What If You Don’t Have Jewelry to Enchant?
What if you don’t have a piece of jewelry to enchant and make an amulet? You don’t need jewelry to make an amulet or talisman. Charge a small crystal or stone with your intention and carry in your pocket or purse. Use anything that is small and means something to you.