How to Make & Use Red Brick Dust to Protect Your Home
Want to learn how to make and use red brick dust to effectively protect your home from spiritual and energetic intrusion? Learn how to do so here.
What is Red Brick Dust?
Red brick dust is an old hoodoo trick used to spiritually fortify one’s home, bring in prosperity, and more. The name gives it away – “red brick dust” – it is dust made from red bricks. This old conjure trick’s legend is said to have started in New Orleans in the French Quarter. Voodoo priestesses like Marie Laveau used red brick dust to protect their homes and places of practice. Red brick dust, also called reddening, has been used for centuries and is a modern version of the sacred red ochre used in ancient ritual.
What Makes Red Brick Dust Powerful?
Why is red brick dust a powerful way to protect your home? What makes it so effective in keeping intruders (both physical and spiritual) out of your house? There are a few reasons why:
- Bricks have been used for thousands of years to build homes; therefore, the purpose of the brick itself is protection from outside elements. Fired bricks are known to last the longest and be the strongest type of building block.
- Bricks are made from materials of the earth like clay, sand, or lime. The earth element is an element of home protection. Iron is often a component of red bricks, a strong metal.
- The color red (like the red brick) has long been associated with the world of the dead/ancestors since ancient times. Our ancestors are our strongest protectors.
So while the brick has its own physical protective qualities, those physical qualities pour over into the spiritual realm and become spiritually protective as well.
How to Make Red Brick Dust
- red brick
- metal hammer
- flat, hard surface
- funnel or rolled up paper
- Small amount of rum or whiskey
- mortar and pestle
- jar or vessel
- goggles and handkerchief/mask
- Find a hard, flat surface, preferably outside, and lay out a large piece of cardboard or thick paper on top. Keep in mind, you’re going to be hammering against this surface, so don’t choose a table or glass or anything that could be damaged or broken by a hammer. The cardboard of paper is to catch the brick pieces as they crumble.
- Set your brick in the middle and sprinkle it lightly with rum or whiskey (this is your offering to the brick for the work it will do for you).
- Pray prayers of protection over the brick (pray to your gods/ancestors/spirits/universe).
- Cover your face with a handkerchief and goggles for your eyes. These protect from red brick dust or pieces getting into your eyes or breathing it in.
- Use your hammer to start breaking the brick apart. You’ll find the right strength and speed as you go along.
- Continue to pray over the brick as you hammer it into smaller and smaller chunks.
- Once you’ve gotten the brick down to small chunks, transfer the chunks of brick (small portions at a time) to your mortar and pestle.
- With your pestle in hand, begin to lightly pound at the chunks of brick, grinding them down into a fine powder. Do this with all the brick chunks, portions at a time, until the entire brick is dust.
- Pray another prayer of protection over the brick. Then use a funnel or rolled up paper to transfer the red brick dust to a mason jar or vessel of some kind.
- Label and store it until ready for use.
How to Use Red Brick Dust
Depending on the tradition and individual practitioner, there are different ways to use red brick dust.
- Cleanse your door and threshold then sprinkle red brick dust over thresholds to keep out intruders of any kind
- Mix with protective herb powders and sprinkle over thresholds for powerful protection
- Create a “reddening” mix with urine, ammonia, or vinegar and wash down doors and thresholds (this is great for protection and prosperity)
- According to Lucky Mojo – mix with cinnamon and brown sugar and wash front door to bring in extra cash quickly
Where to Find Old Red Bricks
Maybe you’re thinking, yeah this all sounds great, but where do I find an old red brick to make red brick dust? There are different places you can find red bricks. I was lucky to dig up an old red brick in my own yard, which had been buried in the earth for many years, and used that to make my red brick dust.
Dump-sites, Ebay, Etc.
You can find red bricks at demolition sites or dumps. If you’d rather pay for one instead of going on a wild red brick chase, some antique stores will carry them, as well as eBay and other sites online. You might be really lucky and find a brick from an old brick road which has added power! People debate whether using old red bricks is safe spiritually, as there might be residual energy from a building or road left in it. My opinion is this – spirits attached to bricks are typically there for protective reasons to begin with.