Witches Black Salt Recipe + What is Witches Black Salt Used For?
Salt is the most magical ingredient you have in your kitchen. Hands down. Sea salt and Himalayan pink salt are great for protection and purification and so much more. But have you heard of witches black salt? Here we teach you how to make black salt and its many magical uses.
What is Witches Black Salt?
Witches black salt is a mixture of regular salt and one of two things: ashes or cast iron scrapings. This is not to be confused with exotic Indian black salt. There are different ways to make this powerful mixture, and many ways to use it. First, let’s learn how to make it.
How to Make Witches Black Salt: Easy Recipe
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Sea salt (one half cup)
- Ashes (1/4 cup): collected from your firepit, fireplace, OR smudging remnants
- OR cast iron scrapings (1/4 cup): from your cauldron or cast iron skillet (the second option if you don’t want to use ashes)
- Black pepper (1 tsp): OPTIONAL
- Black powdered food dye OPTIONAL: some witches like to amplify the color of the salt and add powdered black food dye. I prefer to keep my black salt as natural as possible, so I typically leave this out. My mixture is already lack without it. BUT it’s up to you!
How to make it:
- Put all ingredients into your mortar.
- Mix and grind your salt and ash or scrapings together in a clockwise fashion, while visualizing your intentions.
- You may need to add more ash or scrapings, depending on how black you want your salt to look.
- Bottle it and label it.
Watch Our Tutorial Here:
What is Witches Black Salt Used For?
First, because the salt is black, color becomes a part of the magic. The color black represents mystery, but in witchcraft is used for banishing, binding, protection, and warding. If you added black pepper to your witches black salt mix, this amplifies the black color magic within. Notice a pattern with the ingredients below? To answer the question, what is witches black salt used for? Put simply: purification, protection, and warding.
Black Salt Ingredients’ Magical Properties
Next, let’s look at each ingredient in witches black salt and define its magical properties. All of which have either purifying or protective qualities:
- Sea salt: used by witches for years to purify, protect, and ward off negative energy and spirits. Made by the sea and therefore carries the power of the sea
- Ashes: if you use the leftover ash from your smudging rituals, this ash contains the purifying power of whatever herb it came from (sage, rosemary, lavender are some examples). Ashes are also used in healing rituals – when a forest burns to the ground, the ashes heal the earth and encourage new growth.
- Cast Iron Scrapings: iron is a traditional tool for protection. Fairies are warded off by iron, as are evil spirits. It’s a strong, grounding metal, and therefore adds these properties to the witches black salt.
- Black Pepper: black pepper is similar to salt in its properties. It’s purifying and protective.
Ways to Use in Your Magic
You know how we love to use salt for nearly every magical reason under the sun? Witches black salt isn’t much different! But remember – you can’t eat this kind of black salt!!! There are SO many uses for this powerful mixture. Here are just a few:
- Spread black salt over your thresholds and windowsills to protect the home from negative energy and dark magic
- Encircle a candle to contain the energy within OR to amplify your intentions: best for banishings, bindings, reversals
- Add to banishing, binding, and warding spell bottles, bags, jars, and sachets
- Draw a circle around you on the ground/floor during ritual for protection
- Keep bowls of witches black salt around the home to ward off negativity and spirits
- Use as a floor sweep (sprinkle all over the floor then sweep/vacuum it up) to remove stubborn negative energy or spirits