Moon Water Magic: How to Make Moon Water (Recipes Inside)
One of the simplest and most gratifying magical things to make is moon water. This holy water takes on the energies of the moon phases and has many amazing uses. We’ve discussed how to make moon water before in our Magical Waters article, but this time we’ll take a deeper dive and teach you different ways to make it and the different magic properties.
Moon Water Magic Properties
Depending on the moon’s phase in which you make your moon water will give it different magical properties. Here’s the magic properties listed by lunar phase:
- New Moon Water: made under a New Moon will take on the New Moon properties of new opportunities, cleansing, renewal and rebirth, etc.
- Waxing Moon Water: made under a Waxing Moon gives it qualities of growth, expansion, drawing things to oneself like love, friendship, career success, etc.
- Full Moon Water: typically the most potent form is made under the Full Moon. Full Moon helps all of your intentions manifest including: love, success, prosperity, empowerment, etc. It’s also great to use for divination, cleansing and consecrating, amplifying power of rituals, etc.
- Waning Moon Water: made under a Waning Moon will have the following qualities: banishing, releasing, diminishing things from your life like bad habits, toxic relationships, exorcising ghosts and spirits, reversals, etc.
How to Make Moon Water: Easy Recipe
Your batch can be as simple or as elaborate as you’d like. Here’s our simplest recipe:
What You’ll Need:
- Water (preferably spring or filtered water if nothing else – but use what you have!)
- A glass or silver vessel (this can be a silver bowl, a glass cup, a glass jar, etc.)
- Choose your moon phase to make the moon water!
How to Make Your Moon Water:
- Gather your ingredients.
- Pour your water into the vessel of your choice.
- Place outside where the moon’s beams will hit it.
- Leave out overnight, remove in the morning before the sun hits it.
- Store and use as you’d like.
How to Make with Herbs, Salts, and Crystals
Another way to make this magical water is to add ingredients to it depending on your intentions and how you’ll use it. For example, certain herbs can be added to the water, as well as salt and crystals. Fresh herbs, in my opinion, are best but again use what you have! Here’s our (more elaborate) Healing Full Moon Water recipe:
What You’ll Need:
- A glass or silver vessel
- Fresh rosemary (a handful)
- Himalayan pink salt (a tablespoon or two)
- The Full Moon
How to Make It:
- Gather your ingredients.
- Add your sprigs of rosemary to the vessel.
- Add your tablespoon or two of Himalayan pink salt.
- Pour your water into the vessel.
- Leave outside where the Full Moon’s beams will hit it.
- Remove the water from outside in the morning before the sun’s rays hit it.
- You can remove the rosemary sprigs or leave them in for as long as you’d like!
- Store and use to your preferences.
Make it Your Own!
We’ve given you some ideas, but you should always make your recipe your own. You can add other kinds of salt, dried herbs and spices, AND crystals. Be sure the crystals don’t dissolve in water (i.e. selenite will dissolve) OR give off toxic chemicals (i.e. labradorite). Some examples of crystals that you can add: citrine, clear and rose quartz. Experiment with different fresh herbs like rue, culinary sage, mint, lemon balm, basil, etc. Also, by using various kinds of water will give you an idea as to the differences in magical potency and results. I.E. ocean water, spring water, waterfall water, creek, river, etc.
Moon Water Magic Uses
You made your first batch of moon water, but now what? What can you do with it? There are SO many ways to use this magical water, including:
- Add a cup to the bath to cleanse, heal, etc.
- Put it in a spray bottle and spritz your altar and house
- Use it to wipe down your magical tools to cleanse and charge at the same time!
- Use as an offering to your goddess by putting it in a bowl on the altar
- Wash your windowsills and doorframe to bring in blessings
- Pour over your head and wash your hair in moon water to awaken psychic abilities
- Add a cup to the laundry to enchant your clothing
- Wash your floors with moon water
MORE Magical Timing: Eclipses, Etc.
In addition to charging your water under a specific moon phase, use major astrological events too. For example, moon water charged under a blue moon is especially unique and potent because a blue moon only happens once in awhile! Lunar eclipses are great to make moon water, as are nights with meteor showers. You can also time it with specific month’s full moons. For instance, make it on a Full Wolf Moon will hold special qualities of that month and animal, etc.