Selene Goddess of the Moon: Empowerment With the Moon Personified
When I look at a beautiful Full Moon, I know I’m not alone. The Divine Feminine’s force vibrates through the moon, down through the lunar beams and into our hearts. Over time, there have been hundreds of magical lunar deities come and go, but one particular name is still spoken today – Selene, Goddess of the Moon. Here we get to know the goddess Selene better and learn how to work with her in our spiritual practice.
Who is Selene, Goddess of the Moon?
Selene Goddess of the moon is a deity in the Greek pantheon. She is a sister of Helios (a solar god) and Eos (goddess of the dawn), and daughter to Hyperion and Thea. When the moon rises in the night sky, Selene is waving hello from her silver chariot pulled by two great white horses. While often linked to Artemis and Hecate, two other Greek moon goddesses, Selene is different. She’s considered the image of the moon itself, not merely a deity who rules over it. Because Selene is the moon, her powers and align with lunar magic: healing, intuition, psychic abilities, dreams, emotions, and much more!
Selene’s Lessons for Modern Women
What do you wish to learn from the moon? I don’t know about you, but I’ve been entranced by the Full Moon since I was a little girl. It always felt feminine to me. Selene Goddess of the Moon teaches modern women to be intimate with their own bodies and menstrual cycles. As women, our reproductive systems are linked to the phases of the moon and therefore to Selene herself. As the moon waxes, so do our wombs. When the moon is full, our wombs are ready for implantation. Then when the moon wanes, our wombs shed and wane too. Our femininity is the goddess within and the moon shining through us.
Selene the Moon Goddess also brings to her followers a flood of intuition, the ability to dream and interpret dreams, and divination powers.
How to Call on Selene Goddess of the Moon
Working with or getting to know a moon goddess like Selene is a slow yet enchanting process. If you already feel a connection to the moon, the process may be even easier. First, study Selene Goddess of the Moon: her myths, her qualities, and what magic she offers us. Gaze at the moon in its various phases and record your thoughts and experiences. Then, set up an altar and give offerings to Selene. Wear a crescent moon to invoke her power. Also, try the Selene Goddess Full Moon ritual below.
Altar and Offerings for the Goddess Selene
One of the most effective ways of working with a goddess like Selene is to set up an altar or a space on your altar dedicated solely to her. A painting of the moon, a moon goddess statue, or even a few pieces of moonstone are a perfect representation of Selene. Horses, silver, and white are great for Selene altar decorations. Dedicate your altar space to her and tell her it was built in her honor. Leave an offering of moonstones, silver, moon water, a small horse figurine or drawing, a poem, etc. to appease her. Do this as often as you’d like. Remember, relationships are built by communication and giving – receiving equal exchanges.
A Selene Goddess Full Moon Ritual
If you want to dedicate yourself in the moon goddess’ service, try this Selene Goddess Full Moon Ritual:
What You’ll Need:
- Silver or glass bowl or vase
- Silver or white dress or robe
- A clean bathtub
- Timing: Full Moon
What To Do:
- Fill your silver or glass bowl with filtered/purified water OR collected rain or spring water.
- Set it outside on the Full Moon somewhere where the moon’s rays will touch the water itself.
- Leave it to be charged in the Full Moon light for 3 hours.
- Bring the vase/bowl inside. Prepare a bath. You may add herbs associated with the moon, if you so choose.
- Pour about a cup of the moon water from the silver vase/bowl into the bathtub and say, “Selene, Goddess of the Moon, Lunar deity of love and light, may your healing, feminine power flow through the water and fill me with wisdom, intuition, and connect me to the Divine Feminine. So be it.”
- Turn down the lights, bathe in the moon charged bath water and emerge anew.
- Wear the white or silver robe/gown for the rest of the night. You have dedicated yourself to the Moon Goddess’ service.
- Save the moon water to cleanse and charge your moon altar and tools.