7 Day Candles: How to Dress Glass Jar Candles for Spells
7 Day Candles, also called novena candles, are a popular choice for candle spells and magick of many kinds. Practitioners folk magic and witchcraft all find use for glass jar candles, and so can you! With a wide variety of colors and labels, witchcraft with these candles can be fun and empowering. Learn how to dress and use for your magick here.
What Are 7 Day Candles?
7 day candles are candles in a tall glass jar that can be found at local botanicas, metaphysical stores, Walmarts and dollar stores. They’re also called novena candles and saint candles. Some grocery stores even sell them in the candle aisle. Typically they come decorated with the images of saints, Jesus, or Mother Mary OR in plain white. They reportedly can be used for seven day workings or spells.
Magical Uses for 7 Day Candles
These budget-friendly candles have many magical uses including spells, prayers, vigils and rituals. Your magical tradition may determine how YOU use them in your practice. But here are some ideas:
- Dedicating the candle to a god/goddess/spirit: light during prayer and as offering
- Ancestral prayer and offerings
- Candle Spells for love, money, uncrossings, protection, healing, etc.
- Ambiance for meditation and ritual
How to Dress for Candle Spells
To dress a candle for a spell means to roll the candle in oil and/or herbs according to the practitioner’s intentions. But how does one dress a candle in a glass jar? If you’re lucky, you might have a jar candle that can be popped out of the jar, dressed in oils and herbs, then put back in the jar. But most of the jar candles I’ve come across aren’t removable. SO here’s a few different ways to dress your candles in glass jars:
- Anoint the glass jar with oils and sprinkle the herbs/oils on top of the candle itself
- Use a chopstick or needle to poke holes into the candle, then pour oils and herbs into the holes
- Purchase a 7 day candle with plain glass jar and decorate it using markers, stickers, paints, etc.
- Write your intentions on the glass jar with sharpie
- Print out labels and photos from the computer, then paste onto the glass jar with craft glue
- Purchase pre-blessed 7 day candles from botanicas, conjure shops, etc. (some come already blessed with oils and labels)
Candle Spells: Can You Do a Candle Spell Over 7 Days?
In many folk magic practices, jar candles are used for specific spells that can be performed over a period of 7 days. This contradicts what some witches say should constitute a candle spell – some say the candle should burn all the way down and never be blown out/re-used. Everyone has their own way of doing things, but if you have one of these candles and want to do a spell every day for 7 days, go for it! It all depends on how you practice and what works for you. Keep in mind, the 7 day candle should be used for one purpose and completed after the intended 7 days.